Re: Autocratting an event

Poster: "Heather Swann" <swann@intercon.com>

> Poster: Tom Brady <duncan@technomancer.com>
>
> Greetings, all!
>
> Lady Anarra makes some excellent points, and I certainly defer to
> her wisdom. I just wanted to expand on one point that she made:
> > Turn the Feast/Kitchen/Clean-up/Hall Set Up over to the Cook to
> > recruit bodies.
> > Or Work with your cook to make sure those jobs are covered.
> > Again, don't assume the cook will handle all that.  Agree who will be
> > in charge of what up front.
>
> Amen to this! I have been to too many events (in varying locales)
> where making a person in charge of Kitchen Cleanup/Hall Setup has
> been forgotten or, even worse, left to the Head Cook (who certainly
> has other things to deal with). If anyone is considering autocratting
> an event, I urge you to find a dependable person for these jobs.

I concur- the head cook should just be responsible for the feast.  You should
get a separate person to be in charge of hall clean-up, and kitchen clean-up.

> Also, at the end of the feast, when all of the food has been served,
> the kindest thing you can do for the Head Cook and their staff is to
> throw them out of the kitchen (preferably into a comfy chair with
> suitable potables and goodies close at hand - chocolate is good). Oh,
> but if you do thi, make sure someone is around who knows what gets
> put away where :-)

This was well-handled at I Pugni, where we got flowers, chocolate, and foot
and shoulder rubs for cooking!

> [Autocratting a successful event]:
> > All I did during the day was sit in front of my tent and cardweave
> > and talk to the visitors.
>
> Indeed. A calm autocrat is a happy autocrat.
>
> -Duncan
> Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill

And a well-organized autocrat with a competent staff is a calm autocrat......

Miri