Re: Are Carrots Period?

Poster: Stephanie Malone Thorson <smt2@st-andrews.ac.uk>

Linneah writes:

> Here's an interesting thing I ran across in the grocery store today.  They had a
> booklet of fruits and veggies that listed the history of some.  It said that carrots
> were not widely eaten until the 1600's when the Dutch developed the wild plant
> into a larger-rooted version that made it worth eating.
>
> Any comments?

<digging vigourously in memory files>

We had a thread about this over on Medtext-l a year or so ago.  Somebody
there (I think) remembered something about an article in a gardening
magazine (maybe Organic Gardening?) about the development of certain root
veggies, which concluded that the medieval carrot was much more like a
small parsnip than the orange root we now know.  If the archives are
functioning, I'll run a search to them and see what comes back up.
Medtext-l moved servers about a year ago and the archives have been down
or iffy since.

--Alianora