Re: Fealty (fwd)

Poster: clevin@ripco.com (Craig Levin)

Tibor dixit:

> The learned and informed Senhor Pedro wrote:
>   SCA fealty has little, if anything, to do with mediaeval fealty.
>   First, we confuse it, on occasion, with homage, which, to be
>   true, is very easy to do. Second, aside from our landed barons,
>   the usual bond between a lord and his men-land-cannot be used.
>
> I frequently take issue with assertions of the second sort.
>
> Why can we not play at imaginary lands between two people of suitable rank?

I suppose that's not a bad idea. In fact, it could be a reason
for some (actually educational) court schtick! Most courts-and a
great deal of mediaeval law-dealt with claims to land.
Lancastrian England seems to have been infested with real estate
lawsuits, as a matter of fact.

> Then again, the Baron of Storvik must pay full fare for a ride on the Metro,
> right?  His rights are imaginary (if agreed upon) even if the land is real.
> What is wrong with pretending that the rights are real even if the land is
> also imaginary?

I suppose I have no "real" problem with such a thing.
Persona-wise, Pedro works as a herald, and also is doing
recondite research into the virtues of colors and gemstones (among
other things) at the library of the Shrine of the Immaculate
Conception, while also residing in quarters within earshot of the
Cathedral of SS Peter and Paul (all actual places in Storvik, and
quite believable names for mediaeval shrines). I've just never
seen it applied to lands, that's all.

--
http://pages.ripco.com:8080/~clevin/index.html
clevin@ripco.com