Displaying heraldry (fwd)

Poster: clevin@ripco.com (Craig Levin)

Ciaran dixit:

> To all good gentles!
>         I hope the new year finds you and yours safe and well.
>         I have a question, there was a discussion a couple of months back
> about heraldry, devices and the like. I never quite got the jist of what was
> being decided. Is it OK to display on your shield a device that has been
> registered, but you do not have an AoA. I was told many moons ago only AoA
> recipients could display a device. Is this so?? Many thanks in advance...

Good gentle:

If you have registered it, you can certainly display it. As a
matter of fact, one might say that you have established a right
to those arms that is superior even to that of one who has used
them, but not registered them, for a long time...

As for that past discussion, it had to deal with the rules and
rights of unregistered arms. For an examination of the mediaeval
situation, I suggest either looking at my own work on the subject
(on my website) or at GD Squibb's essay on the subject on the
British Heraldry Archive's website.

Pedro de Alcazar, AoA
Barony of Storvik, Atlantia
Pursuivant Extraordinary and Junior Minion
Or, six Castles Vert within a Bordure Gules semy of Roundels Or
--
http://pages.ripco.com:8080/~clevin/index.html
clevin@ripco.com