Re: [MR] Corinthian leather

Poster: Tanner Lovelace <lovelace@acm.org>

On Thu, 2 Jan 1997, Alfredo el Bufon wrote:

> There are some locales that "take an article" (as they say)
> in Spanish, such as Mancha; you say "Don Quijote de la
> Mancha" rather than "Don Quijote de Mancha".  But, as
> Pedro pointed out, Cordoba does not take an article.
> There's no hard and fast rule to determine whether a place-
> name takes an article; you have to consider each case-by-case.

Actually, the official name of the region is not "Mancha" but
rather "La Mancha."  I can't think right off hand of another
example of that, so I will assume that to be an exception.

> BTW, the name of the town should have a mark over the first
> 'o' to show the accent is on the first syllable, whereas the
> similarly-named car, having no such mark, has the accent on
> the second syllable.

Except for the fact that the car uses the name in English, which
does not have accent marks.  (I think your still right about how
the car is pronounced, however, I think it is a result of American
murdering of the pronunciation.)  Generally, when it is hard
to write the accent marks, such as in e-mail, the accent mark
is assumed.

> I might be mistaken about some of this.

As might I be. :-)

In service,