Re: Need instructions for Tarot Trump, please?

Poster: David KUIJT <kuijt@umiacs.umd.edu>

Dafydd ap Gwystl greets Cheapside!

Gawain Kilgore asked:

> A couple of years ago I was able to play a wonderful game called Tarot
> Trump, sort of a Rummy / Bridge -type game played with a Tarot deck.  If
> anyone could post rules for this, I would be greatly appreciative as I
> have forgotten how to play, but just received a wonderful Tarot deck.

I've got rules for some half-dozen games played with a tarot deck; they
are on my computer at home so I cannot post them at the moment.  None of
them are named Tarot Trump, which may mean nothing -- names change.  All
my rules are for games played in period (or soon after, with the potential
that they, or similar games, were played in period).  If "Tarot Trump"
is derived from some period description of a card game, I'd be very
interested in reference to the original source so I can add it to my
proto-CA.

Which tarot deck were you given?  Some of them are period (e.g., the
Visconti-Sforza and Cary-Yale Visconti decks), some of them are very
similar in style to period decks (Tarot Rhenan, bunches of others), and
some of them have nothing to do with the Middle Ages and Rennaisance (for
example, anything with "pentacles" as a suit rather than coins, which
includes all the Rider-Waite and cartomantic stuff).

Regards,

Dafydd ap Gwystl