Re: Smoking on the field (fwd)

Poster: blackbow@juno.com (David H Ritterskamp)

On Sun, 10 Nov 1996 20:49:57 -0500 Tom Rettie <tom@his.com> writes:
>Lord Jonathan Blackbow writes:
>
>>As to whether smoking in public at events is such a big deal --  if
>it
>>bothers you that much, pretend it's a cigar or other period smoking
>>device.
>
>Pretending, I fear, will do little good for those of us with asthma or
>allergies to cigarette smoke.  Or perhaps would you advocate
>pretending my
>inhaler is a period musical instrument?
>
>Elisabeth MacAlester of Kintyre

Sorry to take so long to get back...just got a new computer.

I'm not the best person to ask about this, because I don't get riled
about stuff that's OOP like this; I barely even care if somebody wears
jeans.  However,  I personally see no reason to fake something like an
asthma inhaler.  If anybody were ever to complain to you about the fact
that it's out of period, please smack them for me and tell them that
their glasses and nerd protectors are too.

Anyway, seriously; I wasn't advocating that people smoke around anybody
who could have a reaction from it, but that wasn't the main point of the
whole thing, but the fact that people thought it _looked_ bad, which has
nothing to do with whether or not it poses a health threat.  I don't see
what one has to do with the other, and I also don't see how anybody could
take what I said and interpret it as giving my blanket permission to
smoke wherever the hell you want to, regardless of who you annoy or cause
problems.  All I said was that people smoking in public at events didn't
particularly bother _me_ as long as it wasn't indoors or somewhere where
somebody could get a massive dose of smoke.  Outdoors in a brisk wind
doesn't qualify, to me.

Of course I'm sure somebody's going to say that they can get a dose even
under those conditions.  That's fine; that would constitute exposure as
far as I'm concerned.  Just make sure that we all are able to separate
the two issues of appearance versus a genuine threat to someone's health.

Lord Jonathan Blackbow
House O'Shannon