Guelphs and Ghibellines (was Italian Ren)

Poster: teresa marie nava-vaughn <tmn@wam.umd.edu>

On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, Alfredo el Bufon wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that in the Period, in Italy,
> there was a kind of garb war between factions known as the Guelfs,
> (who favored Italian Ren) and the Ghibellines (who favored German Ren).
>
> -- Alfredo

It was more of a political struggle than a fashion war.  The Guelphs were
a strong faction in Italy. They were ardent supportors of the Pope's
political control of Italy and favored city-states over the German
Emperors.  The Ghibellines fought for German Imperial control of Italy.
The Ghibelline name comes from a Hohenstaufen estate (Waiblingen). Guelf
also has German roots being the name of a 9th century German ducal family.

C o'Stow