Re: Court is Good(tm) (Was: RE: I'm so proud.)

Poster: "Thorpe, John" <thorpj@caepo1.columbiaSC.NCR.COM>

Greetings from Eldred!

Miri responded to my rant:
>Eldred wrote:
>> So the questions are:  why aren't people attending Court, and where
>> are they going instead?  Some  are in the kitchen-- they get
>> excused.  Some people day-trip and leave because they either need to
>> get to work (3rd shift) or it's a long way home-- they're excused
>> under mitigating circumstances 8^).  What about all these other
>> people that seem to disappear when Court is about to start, yet plan
>> to stay through feast/bardic circle/etc.?

>> Excuses I have heard:
>> 4.  I don't like crowds.
>> 3.  Court is boring.
>> 2.  I need to get ready for feast.
>> 1.  I'm not going to win anything, why should I go?

>> My responses:
>> 4.  Neither do I.  Just sit near the edge or the back, or even off to
>>      the side where you can still see or hear.

>At this Twelfth Night, there was NO ROOM in the room that held Court to be
>able to get a spot to see or hear anything.  I was standing outside the
door
>and still couldn't hear.  I gave up on the second Court because no one said
>it was actually going to be in a room that had enough space for people.

That's one I've never run into!  Wow!  I guess that lets you off the hook!
 8^)

>> 3.  If it is boring, let us know what we can do to make it more
>>      exciting.  I'm open to suggestions (except car chases and
>>      big explosions).

>Not so many long gaps between items- keep it moving.  I don't know how
Courts
>have been for this Reign, since I've been at events without Courts, and I
>couldn't even get near this one.

It really makes a difference who is heralding the Court and how much
prep time they get for the Court agenda.  Some heralds are good
at Atlantian Speed Court.  Others get bogged down.  If you've never
been around when the Coronets/Crowns and the heralds are stressing
out over the Court agenda, you've missed out!  When there isn't much
prep time, the herald ends up in brief consultations with the Crowns
during Court--definitely boring for the populace.  So the Crown/Coronets
(in general--some are better at it than others)need to leave enough time
before Court so that everything can be set up to make Court run
smoothly.

Being able to hear/understand what is going on helps a lot.  If you can
hear what is happening, it tends to hold your interest a lot better than
some vague mumblings from the front end of the room followed by
Vivats for so-and-so.

One other thing that distresses me about many Atlantian Courts is
a lack of "schtick".  Now I do not necessarily mean that we should
do slapstick comedy up there.  I mean entertaining Court business
such as reception of emissaries, and receipt of State gifts.  A more
entertaining presentation will work wonders.  Baron Corwyn does
some good schtick.  If you have a quick wit on the Throne, you can
haul people into Court on some good pretexts--"Call that man into
Court!"

>> 2.  So do most people at Court, you can wait to set up your gear
>>      like the rest of us.  8^)

>I'm single, so this doesn't really bother me.  If I had kids, I might
quibble
>here.

Good point.  I had forgotten that setting up for dinner when you have
kids with you can be troublesome.  Of course, if chivalry and
courtesy are not dead, then some kind gentle will help those
with children set up for feast....  <Eldred ducks>

>> 1.  Because you never know whether you will or not.

>Some folks don't play SCA to be able to go to Courts...some just like the
>ambiance- certainly we should all be free not to attend when we wish...

Another valid viewpoint.  Although I wish you hadn't cut out my followup
concerning whether people take things seriously or not.

>> I'll stop ranting now.....

>My points boil down to:

>If you can't see it, hear it, and don't know anyone in it, and it moves
>slowly, then Court has little to recommend it.  I'm told Logan and Arielle
do
>really fun Courts, so I mean no disrespect here.  Certainly this Twelfth
>Night, the hall just wasn't up to it- no space for anything and way too
hot.
>I left early because the heat was just too much and I got tired of being
>mowed down in the hallway...

TRM's do have fun Courts.  I've been lucky enough to herald two of them
and aid in a couple of others.  So, being able to see and hear, knowing
people in Court, and speed are the keys to a good Court.  The first and
last can be fixed relatively easily.  The middle one you need to handle
yourself by meeting more people.  Of course, people receiving awards
may be getting them for the very things you are interested in--e.g. someone
receiving a Pearl or Laurel for calligraphy--so you can spot new resources
for your enjoyment of the SCA!

In service, and collecting people's comments on Court
Eldred
Gordian Knot Pursuivant