Re: Court is Good(tm) (Was: RE: I'm so proud.)

Poster: William Morris <william.morris@sc.edu>

>So the questions are:  why aren't people attending Court,
>and where are they going instead?  Some  are in the kitchen--
>they get excused.  Some people day-trip and leave because
>they either need to get to work (3rd shift) or it's a long way home--
>they're excused under mitigating circumstances 8^).  What
>about all these other people that seem to disappear when
>Court is about to start, yet plan to stay through feast/bardic
>circle/etc.?
>
>Excuses I have heard:
>4.  I don't like crowds.
>3.  Court is boring.
>2.  I need to get ready for feast.
>1.  I'm not going to win anything, why should I go?

Another reason often given:  You can't hear what's happening!  There have
been very few royal courts when I have been able to hear what's going on
(and that's not from sitting so far back.  Just like movie theatres and
church, I'm one of those half way down the isle folks).

Too often the scroll being read, comments made, etc. are lost to the
populace.  Those in the very front might hear an amusing quip and start
laughing.  The rest of us look at each other and wonder what's happening.

This, above all else, ruins the potential magic of court.  If this
happens often enough, people will stop going.  Why be present and still
not know what's going on?  Some courts are long...and especially so when
your just waiting for it to be over.

What to do?  I'm not a herald or voice coach.  I'm not up there trying to
project my voice to the populace so I don't know how difficult it is.  I
would like, however, to hear what others have to say on the subject and
see if we can't come up with some viable solutions.

In Service to Crown and Law

Liam a'Welwyn, Seneschal
Canton of Cyddlain Downs
Kingdom of Atlantia