Re: The Battle of Stirling Bridge (Was:re:Braveheart)

Poster: "Edward R. Ewen, Jr." <tewen@gandalf.cs.wcu.edu>

Emma,

In short...yes. I would count on weather a good bit colder than you are
used to here and I really don't think St. Andrews would be noticibly
warmer than Stirling.

I was uncommonly lucky (I am told) in that while I was there, they had
persistent sunny skies with the temperatures in the high 80's.  I almost
came to believe that all those horror stories about British weather were
but a smokescreen to keep the Americans away ;) I tend to think that the
weather centered on our group though, for where we went, the weather
followed.  My friends in Stirling were sad to see me go.

Those days which were more 'normal' certainly proved the point though.
Combine cool-cold temperatures with an almost permanent dampness and it
can be pretty miserable.  Some advice:  Go to Callander and wander the
outlet shops.  We found GREAT deals on 100% wool sweaters, 3 for 10
pounds (about $17).

Additionally you will I think want to visit the Leighton Library in
Dunblaine.  It is a private library, recently rediscovered in the early
90's after sitting quietly boarded up in the center of town.  It holds
4000+ volumes, all with publishing dates before 1879 when the library was
 closed.

I have nothing but fond memories of Stirling, and would highly recommend
it to anyone who can manage it.

Emma, you can add me to the list of those who envy you.  Have a GRAND time.

Edward