Re: court

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com (Ed Hopkins)

Her Grace, Lorna of Leeds, spoke most eloquently against
those who verbally object to someone else's receiving an award.

This reminds me of a custom that I noticed in my old homeland
of AEthelmearc, a custom which I hope has died out everywhere:
For a time, whenever anyone received an award for contributing
huge amounts of time and effort to the Society, as she returned
to her seat three or four members of the populace would advise
her to "Get a life!"  This was so common that people spoke of
this as AEthelmearc's motto, and discussed how best to translate
it into Latin.  (Many favored "Carpe vitem", which actually means
"Seize the grapevine staff", others the slightly more correct
"Carpe vitam", or "Seize a life")  I suggested that the true
spirit of this mean little cry would be best rendered by
"Istae uvae acerbae sunt" ("Those grapes are sour") or
"Tuas artes consputo" ("I spit on your accomplishments"),
but nobody listened to me.  As far as I know, the custom
died out, and AEthelmearc now has some proper motto.

By the way, what is Fair Atlantia's motto?

-- Alfredo

Alfredo el Bufon
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia
edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com

   When Jim Thorpe, All-American, was in Stockholm for the
1912 Olympics , King Gustav V presented him with a bronze bust,
telling him, "Sir, you are the greastest athlete in the world."
   Thorpe replied, "Thanks, King."
   Later, all of his Olympic medals were revoked.  Coincidence?