Re: Canton of the Lost Cavern of the Amber Mount ??

Poster: "Thorpe, John" <thorpj@caepo1.columbiaSC.NCR.COM>

Greetings from Eldred!

Asks Manus MacDhai in response to me:
>Poster: "Scott Dean" <nacspsd@acs2.acs.ncsu.edu>
>
>> Greetings from Eldred!
>>

><snip!>
>
>>  Just before I became a
>> student at Clemson, Lost Caverns was formally dissolved.  Most of
>> its members have graduated and moved on, and only a few folks in
>> Falcon Cree remember the whole story.
>>
>> In service,
>> Eldred
>> Gordian Knot Pursuivant
>
>So what is the policy (heraldry-wise) for devices registered to groups
>that are now dissolved?  Is there a point at which such devices would
>be released?  Or do they stay around forever as "history"?  As the
>group that assumed the area previously know as Lost Caverns, would
>Falcon Cree now "control" those devices?

The name and armory will remain forevermore in the SCA Armorial.
*IF* the group's officers released the name and armory, then they
are free for someone else to use--provided that they conform to
the current Rules for Submission.  The original registration would
remain in the armorial, and the new registration would accompany
it.  To my knowledge, no one has attempted something like that
unless it was the "same" group trying to regain their released
heraldry--such as Kestrel's Keep.

However, to my knowledge, the name and the heraldry have not
been released.  To release the name and heraldry would take an
act by the Laurel Sovereign of Arms, and that would set a precedent
that no one would want (e.g. what do you do with the arms of some
one who has died and not left a "heraldic will" to release or transfer?).
Falcon Cree has no control over those devices.  Nottinghill Coill or
the Kingdom of Atlantia would be the logical choices if any group
could be said to "own" them now.  I'll defer to Triton or Laurel to
confirm or deny this, however.

This would be a matter of politics, but perhaps there should be
a "cut-off" date for armory registered to defunct groups.  If a group
is defunct for more than 5 or 10 years, it's parent group should then
be allowed to decide to release the arms.  There are plenty of
good arguments on both sides of this, but I think that the status
quo would probably win.

In service,
Eldred
Gordian Knot Pursuivant