Re[2]: About Irish Wolf Hounds

Poster: Chuck Graves <Chuck.Graves@faa.dot.gov>

Greetings,

>Sean is snowing you about the non-hyper part.  We saw Irish
>Wofhounds at the dog show and considered them before we got the
>Mastiff.  While their hair is not as long as say a cockerspaniel,
>their hair is not as short as your dalmatian.  They were also VERY
>VERY hyper.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with Lady Tehair regarding the Irish Wolfhound's
temperament.  I have never known a more relaxed breed.  I would defer to my wife
for far greater experience; however, hyper is not a descriptive I have EVER
heard applied or seen in their demeanor.

Of course, I would not recommend trying to judge a breed's demeanor by viewing
them in a dog show.  By comparison, view a Crown Tournament and give me a
general description of the energy-level or demeanor of heavy weapons fighters.
Believe me, the comparison would be perilously close.

Sad to say, though, the average life expectancy for the animals are relatively
short (7 to 10 years).  But this tends to be true of most Giant breeds.  The
greater life expectancies are for the smaller breeds, on average.

The Irish Wolfhound is a truly noble breed "by law, originally only permitted to
be owned by kings, nobles and poets."

If you would like, you can peruse a couple of web sites:

        http://www.waltham.com/pets/dogs/pdc146.htm
        http://sashimi.wwa.com/~merbland/wolf/wolf_toc.html
        http://www.pagebleu.com/iwcc

The latter two are solely dedicated to the breed.

Regards,
Tadhg