RE: info request - Limning

Poster: Charlene Noto <charlenn@MICROSOFT.com>

Greetings Vyvyan,
>From your earlier message to me, I think you might be thinking of this:

"Limner, the Medieval name for a manuscript illuminator, and archaic
term for a painter. It was later used to describe English portrait
miniaturists such as Nicholas Hilliard, who wrote a treatise entitled
The Arte of Limning. In colonial North America limner refers to
self-trained, often unknown, portrait painters."
http://vandyck.anu.edu.au/imageserve/reference/eah/fl2.html

Also see: http://www.yawp.com/wm/paint/auth/hilliard/

There's quite a few links if you search on limning.
Hope this helps,
Deirdre