Re: scope of the SCA

Poster: Wynn Klosky <klosky@meeker.UCAR.EDU>

On Fri, 28 Mar 1997, Alfredo wrote:

> But why should they be obliged to fool the eye?
<snip>
> But I almost never call them on it.  Why should I not extend
> the same courtesy to _gender_ transvestites?

I never said you shouldn't. I just opine that it is tough upon first
meeting one to know what to do; once I'm clued in on what they are
trying to achieve, I'm good to go -- but it's hard to tell a woman
who is seeking to be addressed as a man from a woman who just happens
to be wearing those clothes because it's the right thing for the job
(armour, for instance) or because it's more convenient, or whatever.
I don't know about Atlantia these days, but there are many women out
here who go about in male clothing merely for the convenience or lack
of knowing, but none of them are trying to pass as men...

branwynn ottersby
cross-dressing in armour, but not trying to pass