group size/status

Poster: Sherry Hintze <chhintze@bmd.clis.com>

>On this point, I have to disagree; one of the biggest reasons why
>     Crannog Mor (years ago)
>     looked at becoming a barony was because they felt that as a shire,
>     they didn't really have
>     A) much in the way of respect for their autonomy (go figure!) or B)
>     much recognition for anything they did.

As Seneschal for the Shire of Cathanar, I have to second the feeling,
especially B.  In addition to being small, we are isolated.  Other than
Seareach, there is not another group within a good 3 1/2 to 4 hours.  We
don't have a lot of chances to get out in the wider Kingdom, and when we're
a virtual unknown, it's hard to get folks to come see us.

The last awards given in Cathanar were to Ana Munro and Tearloch the
Unwashed in 1992 or 1993.  There are currently one court Baroness and two
AoA's in our Shire.  Only one of those was given in this Kingdom, and none
in this Shire.  Recommendation letters have been written, though not as many
as I would like.  Problem is, we have people doing a LOT in our Shire who
aren't seen much in the Kingdom at large.  Writing letters hasn't seemed to
help, but there's a feeling that a Baron(ess)'s representation might.

I realize that there is a lot we can do to gain more recognition in the
Kingdom, and that group status (Shire vs. Barony) isn't the only factor.
We're planning events, and we're trying to pool our resources so we can get
more folks to outside events.  We're even looking into sites for bids on
Kingdom events.  We're GOING to improve our visibility and recognition in
the Kingdom at large - electronic access has certainly helped already!

But there is an underlying feeling in our Shire of being Atlantia's orphans,
which led to many of our members jumping at the proposal of aiming for
Baronial status recently.  There's certaily a perception that having someone
to represent us in peerage councils would make us a lot harder to ignore!
Okay, group status is only one factor - but it can be a factor.  And it's
one of the factors that the groups can't change all by itself.

In service,
Lady Katriona of Northwoods
Seneschal, the Shire of Cathanar
(Things are happening on the coast....)