Re: Shires in NC

Poster: blackbow@sprynet.com

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Sherry Hintze <chhintze@bmd.clis.com> wrote:

>Poster: Sherry Hintze <chhintze@bmd.clis.com>
>
>Lord Jonathon Blackbow writes, in part:
>
>> That's why I know Sacred Stone,
>>     Nottinghill Coill, Black Diamond, Caer Mear, Windmaster's Hill, and
>>     Hidden Mountain, and I don't really think about Crannog Mor, Seareach,
>>     and Hindscroft.  They're just not VISIBLE.
><snip>
>>And before the Hindscroft and Crannog Mor and Seareach people get on
>>     my case for calling them less visible, remember; I spent four years in
>>     Crannog Mor and I saw it all happen.  This isn't just coming from me;
>>     this is coming from listening to the Crannog Mor populace and seeing
>>     what happened to Hindscroft after they broke away from Sacred Stone.
>>     (And not even knowing about Wilmington in the first place!)
>
>Um, do names like Cathanar and Raven's Cove ring a bell?  At all?  Talk
>about out of sight, out of mind!!!

See what I mean?  I've HEARD of Raven's Cove.  Almost went to the event Katriona
described.  Didn't quite make it for some reason.

I've only recently heard of Cathanar in such a way as to remember anything
significant about it.

>More food for thought.....
>
>Lady Katriona of NorthWoods
>Seneschal, the THRIVING Shire of Cathanar (30 strong and growing....)
>
>Just read your post about turnips - it really IS that kind of vicious cycle:
>no one knows us; no one comes to our events; no one gets to know us.  We've
>got to get out more!

Katriona mentioned that there were more shires than baronies now; I don't doubt
it!  But you can tell how much impact they've had...

I remember when Crannog Mor was the ONLY shire in Atlantia and everybody thought
they were NUTS for staying a shire...

Moving on,

Ld. Jonathan Blackbow
House O'Shannon