Re: baronies/shires/etc

Poster: blackbow@sprynet.com

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, "Heather Swann" <swannh@psi.com> wrote:

>Poster: "Heather Swann" <swannh@psi.com>
>
>Dave Montuori <damont@wolfstar.com> writes:
>> Jonathan writes:
>> > I know for a fact that Crannog Mor was convinced that they couldn't
>> > give Shire-level awards because everybody _knew_ (unproven, mind
>> > you, but knew it anyway, BECAUSE OF LOCAL PERCEPTION) that shire
>> > level awards didn't exist.
>>
>> That isn't just local perception. I was OUT AND OUT TOLD that
>> Stierbach could not create "Shire orders." Not just that we
>> couldn't register their names, they were NOT ALLOWED TO EXIST. Period.
>>
>> > But the point is this:  a shire doesn't have any mechanism in place
>> > for recognizing its subjects for meritorious service outside of
>> > itself...
>>
>> Got *that* in one.
>>
>> > Maybe a Shire needs a direct representative to the Kingdom just like
>> > a barony does.  I don't know if that would do it, but it's somewhere
>> > to start.
>>  snip>
>>
>> Evan
>>
>When I was seneschale of Isenfir I was told the same thing about shire orders
>and awards.
>
>Miri

I'd be interested in finding out what the rationale was for not allowing shires
to have their own awards.  Ancient people out there have an answer? (As opposed
to the Old-timers; I'm an OTimer and I don't know, so the Ancients must...;>)

I think we've fairly well established the fact that shires can't give awards;
now let's see if we can move along up the ladder.

Ld. J. Blackbow
House O'Shannon