Re: coat of arms

Poster: Dave Montuori <damont@wolfstar.com>

Galmr writes:
> And, two sets of the same hearaldry on the field at the
> same time, while confusing maybe to us, is very medieval.

I wouldn't see it as medieval. *Dealing with* two sets of heraldry that
conflict with each other (by the standards of the day) goes back almost as
far as heraldry itself.

I know of many instances written down in period, where conflicting
heraldry on the field was resolved by one party differencing his arms
"for the day." I know of no period accounts of conflicting arms being
allowed on the field. Not that such do not exist, but if they do I haven't
seen them.

Evan