Re: Stupid question..

Poster: mn13189@WCUVAX1.WCU.EDU

On Mon, 5 May 1997, Dave Montuori wrote:

> Master Thomas taught a class at University of Atlantia in '95 or '96
> called "The Waning of the Middle Ages" -- we decided that they started to
> end around 1450 or so, and Columbus delivered the coup de grace. Your
> mileage may vary.

I've found it interesting that historians from different countries give
different end dates for the Middle Ages based on large
governmental/economical/societal changes in their own countries.  Whereas
the "standard" date of 1450 taught in high schools is fine for Italy,
other European countries would give a different date.  I know some French
historians give the ending date for the Middle Ages as the French
Revolution.  At least one Scottish historian gives the end date as 1713,
when the turnip was introduced to Scotland and revolutionized farming!  A
lot of modern historians are escaping this argument the same way the SCA
does, by using terms like "pre-1600" to denote their time period of study.
Aye,
Eogan