Quick new heraldry question (fwd)

Poster: clevin@ripco.com (Craig Levin)

James of Westmoreland:

> 	Okay, no awards for answering this one, but I'm in search of a
> relatively quick answer to what should be a simple question.  I need to
> know what is the proper way to spell gryphon when referring to a male
> version and what the difference, if any is?  It's a bit of a minor debate
> here, and since I'm in the process of moving all my beloved heraldry and
> reference books are buried at the bottom of massive boxes, and I cannot
> come up with the answer without them.

There's no real spelling difference, with respect to which choice
of griffon, as far as I know. However, male griffons have been
referred to as "keythongs" (why, I have no idea) in Dennys' The
Heraldic Imagination and other heraldic glossaries.

For that matter, Fox-Davies notes that the "female" of the
species appears pizzled in plenty of emblazons. I think the
keythong was a creation of later heralds, but since my books are
at home and I'm at school...

Pedro de Alcazar, AoA
Barony of Storvik, Atlantia
Pursuivant Extraordinary and Junior Minion
Or, six Castles Vert within a Bordure Gules Bezantty
--
http://pages.ripco.com:8080/~clevin/index.html
clevin@ripco.com