Re: Heraldic Challenge

Poster: Tanner Lovelace <lovelace@acm.org>

On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, Ianthe d'Averoigne wrote:

> To that end, I am charmed by the idea of canting arms.  May I invite
> everyone here at the Rose to twist their minds and think up hypothetical
> yet possibly "passable" canting arms for personages of note (or interesting
> name) both historical and in the Laurel Kingdoms?
>
> I would ask that the person posting a hypothetical device describe the
> piece in blazon terms AND in laymans' terms - to the best of their
> knowledge - so that these bits of humor can serve a teaching purpose.  I
> would also ask that any corrections be offered gently, and taken graciously
> in the spirit of the thing.  I'm after amusement and education here, not
> debate.

Ianthe and everyone,

To be one of the first, I would just like to point out that the
arms of The Merry Rose (unofficial because Laurel said it would
only be registered over her dead body :-) contain canting.
These arms were devised by none other than our very own Leifr.
(take a bow, Leifr :-)

Anyway, the blazon (blazoned by our very own Evan) is:

(fieldless) On the seeds of a rose barbed and seeded proper, in fess two
roundels in pale, a billet fesswise and an increscent, all sable.

which means of course a rose with a smiley :-) on it.  A graphic
of this device can be found at the Merry Rose web page, which is
at the bottom of every post <http://sca.wayfarer.org/merryrose/>.

Alright, then, next... :-)

In service,
Lord Kendrick Wayfarer