Re: Kingdom Birthday Events

Poster: Corun MacAnndra <corun@access.digex.net>

Lady G wrote:

> Dafydd wrote:
>
> >If we could hold such an event every five years or ten, it would be great.
> >Holding Kingdom Birthday every single year doesn't make it great, it makes
> >it ... just another event.
>
> Do you mean, just another event like Pennsic?
> Lady G

Not at all. While it is true that Pennsic is a traditional annual event,
it is an event between two kingdoms that has grown into a megalithic SCA
wide event. I think that Dafydd will agree that the kingdom birthday for
Atlantia or any other kingdom is special to that kingdom only, and not
really of any interest to the rest of the SCA. Though I suppose a case
could be made were the West to hold a birthday event that became like
Pennsic (or like Estrella or Lillies are becoming), but the West was the
first kingdom, in fact for a while is was The Kingdom. But there's something
special about firsts, just like there's something special about certain
anniversaries or birthdays. For example, your 27th birthday is not usually
thought of the same way as your 21st (legal drinking age in most states),
or your 25th (quarter century), or 30th (getting old, no longer in 20s),
or your 40th (getting really old, what's with these kids nowadays). And
the same is often true of things like high school reunions. If they hold
them every year they get boring (I didn't like most of the people I went
to high school with anyway, so why do I want to party with them more
than every ten or fifteen years)

Anyway, what I think His Excellency is saying is that we should try and
maintain some of the magic associated with special anniversaries and not
have a birthday event every year for the Kingdom. Once every five or ten
should be about right.

In service,
Corun (who fondly remembers ATYC)

--
     Corun MacAnndra   |   Dark Horde by birth   |   Moritu by choice
 I do not understand objections to 'cruel and unusual' punishment. While a