Awards and Stuff

Poster: David KUIJT <kuijt@umiacs.umd.edu>

> >> Local service is useful and laudable.  But again I ask, why a Golden
> >> Dolphin?  That is not the only way to recognize and encourage service.
> >
> >Examples of alternative methods, please?
>
> AoA's...then Court Baronies.....um...I think that's it.....oh, Grants of
> Arms...I think that's it.  At least nothing else comes to mind.

How about "Thank You Very Much?"

We have a huge variety of methods of recognizing and encouraging service.
How about saying "Thank You?"  You can say it in private, you can say it
in Court, you can say it on the Merry Rose, you can supplement it with a
personal gift, you can throw a party in the honour of the person, you can
toast them at your table, you can toast them in the whole feast (PLEASE
Don't do this too much -- it is not a good idea; I'm just mentioning it),
you can make the person an honorary member of your local group to
recognize her service (this only works if the person is not from your
group), you can have your group make the person a gift that varies from
small to enormous in correspondence with the effort involved in their
service, you can name your first-born after them, and so on, and so on.

The Kingdom Orders are a hammer of a certain size.  The Peerage Orders are
a much larger hammer.  Just because we have these two sizes of hammers,
nobody should interpret everything out there as a nail.  Use your
imagination, look inside your toolbox.

Awards are useful.  Don't let their existence cripple your ability to
think of ways to say thank you.

Dafydd ap Gwystl