Re: Awards and all that good stuff

Poster: Corun MacAnndra <corun@access.digex.net>

Nikolai wrote:

>Just a few simple questions to help me out on all this Peerage stuff.....
>
>	 Are Peerage awards done on a society or kingdom level?
>
>	 If you need to do Society wide service such as SCA, inc. work,
>how is the majority of SCAdians to even have a chance at becoming a
>peerage?
>
>	If Kingdom level is the way, then how do you define service to
>the kingdom? Is it by way of Kingdom level offices? Hosting Kingdom level
>events? Here again, how does the majority of kingdomers have a chance?

Ok, here's how I understand the different levels of awards. Knights,
Pelicans and Laurels are Society level awards. But, this does not imply that
you are doing something Society wide. As an example, let's look at
Knighthood. If one were to say that since Knighthood is a Society level
award, then a fighter must fight across the Society in order to be
recognized and eventually knighted. The ceremony mught even have to involve
Peers from different Kingdoms or even the Society Marshal. But as we know,
this is simply not so. A Knight is knighted in his or her Kingdom of
residence for showing those skills commensurate with the idea of Knighthood,
and they don't even have to ever leave their own Kingdom to get it. The same
is true for Laurels and Pelicans. One does not have to go to an Interkingdom
A&S competition, nor become a Society officer in order to become a Laurel or
Pelican. All one has to do is excel at those things one does best, be it A&S
or Service. And these all cover a wide spectrum. As Dafydd pointed out, one
can get a Pearl or Golden Dolphin (A&S and Service at the Kingdom level
respectively) for teaching.

Now, on the Kingdom level, things get a little more grey. There are now two
polling Orders for fighting, the Sea Stag and the Kraken (which I don't
believe is a polling Order). The first has been traditionally given for the
teaching of fighting, while the second and newer one is given for prowess on
the field (I'm sure there are other things also that one can associate with
this, but I'll keep it simple for now). For A&S there's the Pearl, and for
service there's the Golden Dolphin.

At an even lower level, there are the Shark's Tooth and Yew Bow for heavy
fighting and archery respectively. There's also the White Scarf, and,
correct me if I'm wrong, it is not a polling Order like those above. Instead
one plays the Prize and either wins or does not win the Scarf. Then there's
the newly made Silver Nautilus for A&S. I don't know if there is something
at this level for Service at this point.

The Baronies have their awards as well. In Storvik we have the Lozulet for
service and the Silver Selkie for fighting (all types, from heavy to combat
archery). We have yet to institute an A&S award, but we're working on it.
Her Excellency and I did not inherit many awards when we took the Coronets
of Storvik, and the Silver Selkie was instituted at last Pennsic for the
first time. The Lozulet on the other hand is ancient and venerable, and the
Order's members are spread far and wide.

If one were to draw a grid it might look like this:

                Service         A&S             Fighting

Society         Pelican         Laurel          Knight

Kingdom         Golden Dolphin  Pearl           Sea Stag
                                Silver Nautilus Kraken
                                                Yew Bow
                                                Shark's Tooth

Barony          Lozulet         TBD             Silver Selkie
(Storvik only)

I hope I haven't muddied the waters here with this somewhat verbose
explanation. I also hope that if I've made any mistakes or assumptions, that
someone with greater knowledge or understanding will correct me.

In service,
Corun
Companion of the Order of the Golden Dolphin
Companion of the Order of the Lozulet

     Corun MacAnndra   |   Dark Horde by birth   |   Moritu by choice
Though we are not now that strength, which in old days moved earth and heaven,
that which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time
and fates, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield.