Re: Awards and all that good stuff

Poster: Tanner Lovelace <lovelace@acm.org>

On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Corun MacAnndra wrote:

> There's also the White Scarf, and,
> correct me if I'm wrong, it is not a polling Order like those above. Instead
> one plays the Prize and either wins or does not win the Scarf.

Actually Corun, you are wrong in this case.  The White Scarf is a polling
order on the level with Perl, Golden Dolphin, and Sea Stag.  It is
awarded by the monarchy after consultation with the order.  The
mid-level award, the gold scarf, or Free Scholar, is given by the Provosts
(White Scarvees) to thise they think are deserving.  To be given a
gold scarf, three provosts have to agree on it.  Then after consultation
with the other provosts, a time and date are set and announced, and the
Free Scholar candidate goes and plays his/her prize.  Generally they
pass, as those who won't pass don't usually get to that point.

In service,
Lord Kendrick Wayfarer, Scholar (blue scarf)
---
             |                       lovelace@acm.org
             |\                       Arlington, VA