Re: BOFFERRRRRRrrrrrs

Poster: "Terry L. Neill" <Neilltl@ptsc.slg.eds.com>

Thomas von Leipzig wrote:
>Somone had said that the 3/4" pvc pipe CANNOT extend INTO the hollow foam
>more than 4" is this correct?

I said that the pipe cannot extend more than 4" into the foam *in the West
Kingdom*. Lord Robin Christoph Griffaud, here in Caer Mear, has more experience
with boffers in Atlantia than I do (he should, he and his wife have 5 kids!)
and has run boffer tourneys.  He posted to the list in response to my
earlier post with a lot of information on the conventions that are
developing here in Atlantia.

>I was just sparring with some kid at a recent event and he wacked the
>p-mortal stuffings outta me... i think the pipe went the legnth of the
>foam.... i fight rapier and knew little of the stick jock techniques...
>ouch.

That's why pipe cannot extend more than 4" into the foam in the WEST.  Nor
in An Tir.  In An Tir they call what that young person was using a '
whalebone' and it is as regulated as boffers for an older age group.

If you were playing by 'touch' you would not have gotten hurt.  <grin>  But, as
I said, Atlantia has no standards yet, though they are apparently in
development.

I strongly encourage *not allowing* the pipe to extend more than 4" into the
sword for boffer standards in Atlantia as well.  If Atlantia wants to develop
our equivalent of 'whalebone', I can get whomever is interested a copy of
the An Tir Whalebone and Boffer rules.  The West rules might be on the web
by now, too.

Regards!

        - Anarra