Re: SCA Alcohol Policy

Poster: Mark Schuldenfrei <schuldy@abel.MATH.HARVARD.EDU>

  That is where my questions were leading.

  I also think that if we are going to regulate the distribution of alcohol at
  SCA events, then there should either be *no* alcohol distributed in such a
  way as to be part of an official and announced part of an event (during
  feast, lawn parties, bardics announced in the flyers, etc) or we should get
  insurance to cover it and not have the regulation.

Anarra, in a perfect world, that would be the case.  But we do not live in a
perfect world.

There are two kinds of liability, I gather: one for giving out the booze
yourself, and another for hosting a party where someone is given booze. We
(SCA) can afford the insurance for the later, but not the former.

So, now, in order to protect itself, the SCA itself must make the
distinction: "We (SCA) don't give out booze at events, but you may."

  I just can't see a jury making a distinction about who actually purchased the
  alcohol if it was distributed at an official and announced part of an event in
  such a manner that implied SCA sanction of the presence of the alcohol.

The jury wouldn't have to: it would be made at the time the charges are
filed.

	Tibor