Re[2]: SCA Alcohol Policy

Poster: "Scott Dean" <nacspsd@acs2.acs.ncsu.edu>

Greetings from Manus MacDhai!

> Poster: Kai Scheppe <scheppe@hpl.umces.edu>
>

> As a brewer I have some interest in the discussion that is going on,
> although I do think there is a dead horse here somewhere which is being
> beaten badly :-)

Agreed but I am putting my 1.5 cents in.

> However, I do have a question:

    <snip>

> Now, if I am at a private party somewhere, let's say at a business
> christmas party, somebody is being given a bottle of wine as a present -
> something that occurs all the time.  I have never heard of that being
> illegal, although I may be wrong.
>
> But isn't that similar to what we do when we offer alcohol as a prize?
>
> 	Just curious
>
> 	Maximilian

All issues of alcohol liability aside, I don't think this comparison
is valid.  If a company (or private party or whatever) is giving
away a "bottle of wine", it is probably a fair bet that it was
commercially produced, and therefore all the taxes that the Feds
want paid on the alcohol have been paid.  I don't brew but I do make
cordials and it is my understanding that I won't get in trouble with
the guys at the ATF because I use pre-manufactured alcohol in the
form of vodka (or brandy).  All the excise taxes are paid already.
When one gets into BREWING and the subsiquent sale of THAT, others
with a better grasp of the law may wish to address that. My
recollection from when my father started making beer and wine was
that he could make X amount a year "for personal consumption".
Other questions include: What constitutes "sale"? barter? If the
product is "donated" such that the maker does not get compensation,
how might that affect it?

oh well, enough for now.

-- Manus MacDhai
   Kappellenberg/Windmasters' Hill