[Fwd: Re: Polling...Was RE: Pay to Vote]

Ooops - meant to post this to the Merry Rose.  Silly me!
--
+==================================================================+
| Joyce A. Baldwin      | In the Society for Creative Anachronism: |

-- BEGIN included message

My tuppence worth:
> Concerning children (under 18) having a voice in the pollings>>>
> I have known 17 year olds that didn't have more than a few air molecules
> floating around in their heads and have known 8yo that could state reasons
> why they believed that such and such should be the next baron(ess) of the
> barony.  Children under 6 generally shouldn't be polled, but if a child can
> state logical reasons and complete the polling themselves, then I am all for
> allowing them to be polled.   Remember the children are the future of the
> Society and SHOULD be allowed to help decide the future of the Society in
> their own way.
Here in Buckston-on-Eno we have a number of members under 18 who are
active in and committed to our group (for example, Kasia, was autocrat
for Boat Wars at 17, and now at 18 is founding seneschal of the
proto-incipient Canton of Wind's Reach).  I agree, these young people
certainly are capable of and should have the right to submit formally
their opinions to the Crown.  The restrictions on combat participation
and certain other activities are due to modern legal/insurance
complications.  This has no bearing on their capability and rights as
far as polling goes.  If you want people to behave responsibly, give
them responsibility - and expect them to live up to it!

Jocetta
| Joyce A. Baldwin      | In the Society for Creative Anachronism: |
|  Lyric Coloratura     |  Lady Jocetta Thrushleigh of Rowansgarth |
|  Soprano              |  Quarterly vert and azure, two thrushes  |
| Diva Extraordinaire   |   countourny, tails erect, in bend, or   |

-- END included message