Re: kazoo!

Poster: Thomas Hudson <hudson@cs.unc.edu>

Scripsit Magister Henricus Bestus et Corun,

> >Anyway, my question is this: is there anything kazoo-like that is period?
> >What is there in the way of stupid instruments that are relatively easy to
> >play?
>
> Silly I can give you. Easy?? That's another topic, and not necessarily
> conjoined with the first. I've always found the Serpentine a silly looking
> instrument, but I doubt it's very easy to play.

Robyyan built himself a hurdy-gurdy this summer, from a kit in about 6
hours.  It takes no breath control, no silly lip contortions, doesn't
strain your wrists, and doesn't give you any callouses.  (i.e. it lacks
the ennobling featues of most other insruments).

He's given up taking sheet music to demos;  he just pulls out a stool
and sits there with his cranky little box, making music fit to accompany
bagpipes.

Giovan Donato, who's foolishly choosing instruments for their difficulty
Kappellenberg, Windmasters' Hill, Atlantia