Re: All Things Scottish

Poster: Tom Rettie <tom@his.com>

Lady Alianora Munro wrote:

>Likewise I doubt Wallace
>would have wanted to be seen in a kilt, although he did have "wild hielan'
>men"  fighting with him.

Thank you good lady for pointing that out.  There seems to be an assumption
that all "period" Scotts were highlanders in great kilts.  But like almost
any other nation, there's a lot of diversity in Scottish culture across
regions and time.  My private response to the new gentleman was to
investigate "where" and "when" he wanted to be from before he went doing
things like picking a last name or rolling up in tartan.  If he chooses to
be a 16th century gentleman of a town, well that's a whole 'nother thing
from being an 10th century Pict.

I do myself have two great plaids, and they're fun to wear, but I also know
that the town folk snicker at me behind my back and think I'm something of
a bumpkin.  I've taken to wearing somewhat more fashionable clothes when I
can, but my lady is most busy and little time for doublets and trunkhose
just now.

Your obedient servant,

Findlaech MacAlasdair