Awards of Arms

Poster: Ed Hopkins <Ed.Hopkins@mci.com>

Rebecca noted, in part:
> Also keep in mind this is COURT BUSINESS. This is CONFIDENTIAL.
> While some kingdoms manage scrolls the way Mistress Celynen
> proposes, it is difficult to keep that confidentiality when large
> scriptoriums in a local group hear about so and so getting such
> and so a week before hand. It's better to have a set of scribes
> (which Their Majesties have) rather than large groups knowing
> what is happening in advance. Confidentiality is very difficult
> to keep in large local groups.

AFAIK, this tradition began with the old "This Is Your Life"
TV show.  Why do we always have to surprise the recipient?

Rebecca went on to say:
> Course then you have the OTHER debate - is it fair to have
> someone get a scroll while others have waited 5 years. That one I
> don't worry about. I just want to get the job done.

Perhaps we could mitigate this problem by keeping the tradition
of confidentiality before the awarding, and adding a tradition of
confidentiality _during_ and _after_.  Those worthy but scroll-less
gentles won't resent the scrolls of the less worthy if they don't
know abgut them.

Miri suggested elliptically...
> Perhaps buy a couple of tubes of guache for a scribe....some
> sheet music for a musician...contribute materials for loaner
> garb.......donate some games.........think of it like a gift for
> a bard......you've been entertained, and now you're giving a
> token of your thanks.
>
> It's a simple thing, but I think it would be appreciated.

I wonder if some people might appreciate recieving an actual
Award of Arms that was not a scroll at all, but rather, say,
a cambok stick engraved with his or her name and signed by
their Majesties.  (I know that Miri didn't have that in mind;
I just decided to take the ball and run with it.)

-- Alfredo