Re: Copyright, was Re: 2 tidbits

Poster: "Robyyan Torr d'Elandris" <robyyan@mindspring.com>

> 2.  Unless I've been badly misled and deceived, reposting material on a
> mailing list doesn't constitute violation of copyright, especially if the
> reposting isn't for profit.

You have been misled and deceived.

Profit is irrelevant.  There are provisions in copyright law for
"fair use", and I'm not going to even attempt to get into details on
it, since I'm not a lawyer.  But posting to a mailing list isn't it.
Most libraries have a document that summarizes and explains the fair
use doctrines.

As far as I know, regular postings to a mailing list are still a
murky area of copyright law.  According to the Berne convention on
copyright, the author of the text owns a copyright to it as soon as
the text is created.  But since the text was created and intended for
a wide semi-public distribution, there are some interesting arguments
to be made.  In any case, posting text on a list that wasn't created
specifically for the list is a violation of the copyright of the
original author.

There's a ton of sources on the net for copyright information.  I
recommend checking the Library of Congress ( http://www.loc.gov ) and
seeing what you find there.  At one point they had a very extensive
collection of papers on copyright issues on their gopher server,
which I presume have migrated to the web somewhere.

BTW, in modern life I write software for libraries, who must pay huge
amounts of attention to copyright issues when borrowing, lending, and
copying journal articles.  I've learned more than enough about
copyright so that I 1) assume anything has a copyright on it, and
shouldn't be copied for distribution without the copyright holder's
permission, and 2) I label anything I intend to make publicly
available with the exact copyright conditions I mean.
--
 Robyyan Torr d'Elandris                              Dennis R. Sherman
 Kapellenberg, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia              Chapel Hill, NC