Re: Copyright, a further question

Poster: Mark Schuldenfrei <schuldy@abel.MATH.HARVARD.EDU>

     Perhaps you could clear up an arguement we have going here, where i'm
  visiting in Meridies.... some folks say no part of any printed work can
  be photocopied without the author/copyright holders permission... other
  say that FOR RESEARCH PURPOSES a "fair amount" of text can be copied
  (thereby freeing the book up for others to use at the library), as long
  as it is not a "significant" amount of text... there followed a further
  discussion about what consituted "significant". I have, at times, spent
  some hours at a library xerox machine, making copies of passages that
  were important to my research.... now i wonder - was I in violation?

Check the web page I cited...
http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/circs/circ01.html

Basically, you can make small amounts of copies, if it meets all four fair
use criteria, most of the time.  The right to control copies is absolute,
but there are minor exemptions, and fair use is one.  (Satire is another.)

	Tibor