Re: Flash photography (was Re: coins)

Poster: RowenRhys <RowenRhys@aol.com>

In a message dated 97-12-20 00:27:11 EST, Odinson13@AOL.COM writes:

<< Somebody please explain to me the reasoning behind this flashbulb rule. As
far
 as I know cameras didn't come around until the mid-1800s. I would be willing
 to bet returning crusaders did a bit of smoking. The Hookah pipe is quite
old.

 Odinson

'Tis true that camera date to the time of the American Civil War but I think
allowing cameras in general is a compromise.  Some good gentles like to
capture their memories (or steal others souls, as the case may be) for later
usage.  Prohibiting flash photography helps to preserve the atmoshpere and
prevent the populace from blinding rays of light.
As for the smoking:  This issue has been hashed (Ha!) over time and again.
Those Crusaders may have smoked but they did not smoke cigarettes as we know
them now.  Their smoking was not as portable and accordingly, not as public.
And I think most would agree that its a shame and a disrespect to inordinately
permeate the prized garb of all present (Dry cleaning bills are killer!)

My two cents (finally),

Rowen ferch Rhys