Credit where credit is due

Poster: "Porter, Timothy W." <Porter@alhrm.brooks.af.mil>

Dear patrons,

I've seen several messages now giving credit for the Beowulf piece to the
appropriate bard.  This is commendable not just for the sake of propriety,
but also because it gives interested people a chance to contact the source
for similar pieces or to give them praise.  Everyone wins, you gotta like
that.

However, the tone of these messages almost seems to be a reprimand of the
original poster.  Why not reprimand him, after all wasn't rude not to
include proper credit in his message?  *said w/ sarcasm*  Well let's keep in
mind that he may not, and in fact didn't, know the source.  This idea of
tone may simply be my interpretation or it may be a consequence of this
written medium.  But, I would caution people not to reprimand others, in
public or private,  who fail to give a source.  Simply inform them.  They
may be ignorant of the original and will probably appreciate the information
instead of resenting the reprimand.

Just being sensitive, but thanks for listening.

Cedric
(who will be an Atlantian in just three short weeks)