Re: Media Suggestions

Poster: Heather Bryden <bryden@hers.com>

<snip>

>I have a reasonably decent list of fiction (i.e., Braveheart, Robin Hood:
>Prince of Thieves, Excalibur, Highlander, The Lion in Winter, the Swords
>series by Fred Saberhagen, the Deryni series by Katherine Kurtz, etc etc ad
>nauseam) and an extremely short list of non-fiction.

At the risk of sounding unkind, I would recommend you steer clear of
fiction with a strong fantasy element (e.g., Katherine Kurtz).  It's
perfectly fine stuff, but hardly appropriate to an organization that
nominally focuses on the historical Middle Ages.  If you're interested in
adding historical fiction, I'd suggest Dorothy Dunnett and Nigel Trantor.

As far as non-fiction goes, anything by Georges Duby and/or Christiane
Klapisch-Zuber (who, William Marshall notwithstanding, specialize in
medieval domestic life and women's history), Roger Virgoe (Private Life in
the Fifteenth Century), Charity Cannon Willard (Christine de Pizan:  Her
Life and Times), Therese and Mendel Metzger (Jewish Life in the Middle
Ages), and Emmanuel LeRoy Ladurie (Montaillou).

Just FYI, I'm heavily biased toward works on medieval culture (and my list
of suggestions shows it).  You may want to add a few general histories.

And everything I've read or seen on Lyanna's list is good, too.

Elisabeth MacAlester of Kintyre