Re: Media Suggestions

Poster: bellefleur@juno.com (Catherine W Raitt)

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998 07:52:54 -0000 "David Ritterskamp"
<blackbow@sprynet.com> writes:

>Poster: "David Ritterskamp" <blackbow@sprynet.com>
>
>Good Gentles:
(snip)
I am particularly interested in sourcebooks for any A&S activities.
>Ld. Jonathan Blackbow
>Clan O'Shannon

I have not seen any references to costuming books, yet.  These are a few
of the ones I take along to Fighter Practice for new folks to peruse.
Some are over-views of the entire period, some are century-specific.

Good Overviews -
20,000 Years of Fashion, by Francois Boucher (Photos of paintings, etc.
Lots in color, rest b/w)
The Book of Costume, by Millia Davenport  (B/w photos of paintings,
detailed descriptions.)

The next three are overviews, but are re-drawings by the author.  Good
for getting a general idea of styles.
The Chronicle of Western Costume, by John Peacock
European Costume - 4000 Years of Fashion, and English Costume - from the
Second Century, BC to 1972, both by Doreen Yarwood

Specific Century -
Patterns of Fashion 1560-1620, by Janet Arnold (shows actual garments and
graphs them - more advanced than some of the others.)
A Visual History of Costume - The Sixteenth Century, by Jane Ashelford (
I believe this has been included in a reprint which includes other
centuries, but it is one of my favorites.)
Reprints of Illuminated Manuscripts, such as:
Tristan and Isolda, Boccaccio's Decameron, Medieval Hunting Scenes (early
1400's)

Other books to look at are the "Kings and Queens of ..." history books.
The portraits included in these books are also good resources.

There are many, many more.  I hope this will help your resource list.

In service to Atlantia, Marinus, and the Arts
Baroness Catherine de Bellefleur
(Who is known for dragging 3 tote bags full of books everywhere I go!)