Medieval rudeness

Poster: terry_buyers@catbox.win.net (Terry Buyers)

J>Poster: jsrechts@imap.unc.edu
J>

J>at night.
J>Actually, today, it IS safe to walk most city streets at night.

Hoo! What planet you from? Some places are safe. Most are not. Some the police
won't go - even with backup.

J>What is different about medieval society vs. modern society in J>terms of
J>repremands
J>is that medieval communities were more intimate than ours today.
J>Many
J>knew what their
J>neighbors were up to due to lack of privacy.  When someone was J>punished,
J>it was generally
J>when their actions were no longer tolerated by the community at
J>large.
J>It didn't have so
J>much to do with being armed.

So how do we bring group pressure to focus on the rude individual? Can we give
out a 'toad of the day' award?

J>Carrying daggers won't help the problem.  I think the way we can
J>counter
J>the problem of SCA members forgetting what the SCA is
J>about is reinforcement of ideals through education and actions
J>that this
J>sort of behavior
J>will NOT be tolerated by anyone, regardless of rank.  We have to
J>educate
J>new people coming
J>in AND re-learn our own ideals of courtesy within the SCA.
J>Afterall,
J>the new people
J>coming in learn by example of the others who have been in for a
J>while.

No argument here.

J>Oh, I believe (not sure though) SCA law prohibits smoking in the
J>main
J>area of an event. I'm
J>sure some corpora junkies can look this one up.  I think we should
J>urge
J>those who are responsible for upholding
J>SCA law should enforce this one.
J>
J>On another tangent,  a Professor of Medieval History at Univ.
J>Chicago
J>once said that the "US is going through it's Middle Ages."
J>There is a lot of validity to this comment.  Medieval society was
J>violent, intolerant
J>of differences, was pious and hedonistic at the same time, where
J>there
J>were
J> great works of art and a new low of ignorance at the same time.
J>This
J>is very similar
J>to our own American culture today.

The society of the Techno-Barbarians...

						Taras

---
 * PowerAccess 1.50 Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.