On Courtesy Classes

Poster: Carol_O'Leary@ed.gov (Carol O'Leary)

     Warm Greetings to all from Duchess Melisande!

     Many centuries ago, a man came to Rabbi Hillel and asked Hillel to
     teach him all of the Torah while the man stood on one foot.  Hillel
     said, "Do not unto your fellow man as you would not have him do unto
     you.  That is the whole Torah.  Now go and study."

     I have taught many classes on Courtesy at many sessions of the
     Univerity of Atlantia.  Like Hillel, I can sum up all I think you need
     to know in a few short sentences:

     Act in a way that would make your grandmother proud of you.  Say
     please, thank you, and excuse me.  Be quiet and listen when someone
     else is speaking.  Be helpful when you can.  And do all this
     *regardless* of your rank, or of that of the people around you.  That
     is all of courtesy.  Now go and study.