Courtesy/Custom

Poster: "Terry L. Neill" <longshipco@hotmail.com>

Izofgold@aol.com wrote:
>Now along with this, what ever happend to people being escorted into
>court? Or how about the dropping of weapons before approaching the
>thrones, etc...these mannerisms too have gone astray.

Oh, no!  That's a whole 'nother can of worms!  ;)

Do not confuse basic courtesy (obeying the law, being helpful and
polite, etc) with custom.

I do not go into court escorted.  I don't like being escorted. I don't
want it.

Other ladies do.

It is courteous to escort a lady one knows wants an escort into court.
It is not courteous to escort a lady into court who doesn't want it, nor
is it courteous to insist when she declines.

Nor is it courteous, IMO, to dash about in an effort to beat her to the
thrones so one can escort her.  I find it very distracting.

Dropping weapons when going into court, IMO, depends on one's persona.
I never do it (even when I have weapons on me, which is rare).  I think
it (from a persona point of view) DIScourteous to imply the Crown cannot
trust Their subjects.

Your Mileage May Vary.

And all that aside, neither issue has to do with *courtesy*.  Both are
customs and their lack alone implies no lack of courtesy.

Regards!

Terry L. Neill                          Anarra Karlsdottir
The Longship Company, Ltd.              Bright Hills, Atlantia
www.wam.umd.edu/~eowyn/Longship/        Østvik Vikings

            It Takes a Viking to Raze a Village

longshipco@hotmail.com