Re: dropping of weapons and escorting into court

Poster: Julien de Montfort <julien@spiaggia.org>

> I too have heard the King ask members of the court not to divest
> themselves of their steel.  However, I learned as an SCA "youngster"
> that members of the nobility were considered by that recognition to be
> trustworthy in the Royal presence.  So for me and mine, that meant
> divesting yourself before you received your AOA and not thereafter.

This actually, reminds me of when I was presented with my AoA last
spring.  It was at Cuan's Crown Tourney, and HRM was of course sitting
with the other notables during Baronial court (which preceeded Kingdom
Court).

Anyway, I was called up into Baronial Court, and when I stood up I
removed my dagger and handed it to my friend to hold as I went before
Court.

After I was done, I headed back to my seat, and was just about to sit
down when HRM Cuan called out, asking me to come before the throne --
and to bring my dagger with me!

Rather nervous (the comment from the peanut gallery "Oh my god, he's
going to kill you with your own knife!" didn't help either ;->), I
went back up before the Royals.  Cuan asked for and examined my blade,
and proceeded to award me arms right then and there!

I don't know if I was "scheduled" for court later that day anyway, or
if I had been brought to his attention and the removal of my dagger
reminded him of something, but I for one will certainly vouch for the
good fortune in removing one's weapon before court... ;-)

Julien