Re: Traffic

Poster: Kofryna the Goatherd <kofryna@geocities.com>

Corun MacAnndra wrote:

>I have to agree with His Grace Galmr, when travelling to southern >events from DC (Storvik/Roxbury/Ponte Alto) or points northwest of >there (Highland Foorde and possibly some of Bright Hills), you >inevitibly have to go right through Malfunction Junction at rush hour >(which starts between 2:30 and 3:00 and lasts till around 6:30 or so >depending on whether or not some erstwhile member of the Amateur >Driving Club has decided to perform his> rendition of the Ballet for >Volkswagen and Peterbilt) or leave work several hours early.

>Your only other option is to carpool and try to take advantage of the
>HOV 3 lanes.....but then we all know about trying to get more than two
>SCA members together at a specific time point.

Speaking as someone who lives in Highland Foorde and works right on the
Storvik/Roxbury Mills border (Silver Spring), I can say that those days
that I drive are manageable because I travel with my Lord. Unlike
Virginia, I-270 is HOV-2. During weekdays, the HOV-lanes move at a
steady pace without backup throughout the evening. Often, I leave Silver
Spring right at the worse time (5:00 PM) and make it home before my Marc
train would have arrived! Very likely, you will hit periodic congestion
if you don't take the HOV lanes, but we have folks in our Shire who take
that path daily. Also, now that the construction on I-270 from a few
years ago is finished, weekends are clear from backups.

Maybe I'm biased, but I don't think the commute to Highland Foorde is
comparable to the Springfield mixing bowl. I hope folks aren't
erroneously thinking the problems from construction a few years ago are
still the constant norm. I'd be really disappointed to find that the
fear of traffic really affected folks traveling to our area.

Regards,

Kofryna the Goatherd, Seneschal of the Shire of Highland Foorde