Re: Number of Peers (was: recognizing peers)

Poster: Beth Morris <bmorris@access.digex.net>

Anne wrote:

> > To the question of whether a Laurel in one interest can competently judge
> > a potential Laurel's work in some other field,  I'd say YES.   Many of
> > those with A&S interests are not interested in one single topic.  They
> > start experimenting in several areas and eventually specialize.  Just as
> > a knight may prefer one weapon but will know how to use others, Laurels
> > famed for one skill continue practicing and researching others.  The wide
> > ranging skills of the Laurels as a group allows for the ability to judge
> > if work is merely complete vs well done even if the interest isn't one
> > any of them pursue in depth.  If no Laurel out of 86 has even the least
> > bit of previous or concurrent practice and research into a topic, they
> > can still judge comparatively using their knowledge of related interests.
> >  It can be evident even to the non-expert that someone's skill and
> > application of the skill is much improved from their early efforts and
> > better than what most of the populace (or themselves) will turn out.

To which Miri replied:
> Actually, every Laurel  I've ever posed this question to has always
> said, "NO- that's why we seek out people who are conversant with the art
> or science in question..."
> When people were needed to judge smithing, the Laurels went to Brok and
> asked him what to look for.  Laurels should certainly be able to judge
> documentation, teaching skill, and so forth, but they often go to those
> in the know for specifics on an art or science with which they are not
> personally familiar.  They don't seem to have any problem handling it
> that way, and it seems to work really well.  :)

>From my experience, its actually somewhere in the middle. :-)

Many Laurels are widely experienced (arts-wise) and willing to examine
and analyze arts that are somewhat outside their field of expertise, but
that are of interest, or are in a related field or whatever.

They also consult with those whose specialty lies more in the direction
of the piece in question.

There are some things that most Laurels would be comfortable judging on
*any* piece - quality of research, analysis of research (substitutions
made, analysis of process, etc), tidiness and presentation of pieces,
ability to share knowledge (via articles, classes, students, etc).

Keilyn, OL