Re: chivalry

Poster: Jeffrey Sussman <jsussman@pop.erols.com>

Greetings from Sir Richard!

Corun asked some good questions.

First the disclaimer:  Each knight makes his recommendation
individually.  Each knight has a different yardstick against which
candidates are measured.  What follows is my yardstick.

I use the chinese restaurant menu paradigm.  With soup you get eggroll.
Column A (Entrees): You have to be a deadly fighter.  This means winning
significant tourney bouts against substantial competition including
other knights.  If you never win any tourney fights against any knights
I won't ever think you're a knight.

Column B (Appetizers): You have to be making some contribution to the
kingdom in some endeavor that is not fighting related.  This could be
service or making stuff.  I personally put great store in candidates who
have autocratted successful events.  And know something about some part
of the middle ages that has to do with your persona.

Column C (Soups): You have to act like a peer.  Be courteous to the
people you despise.  It's easy to be courteous to your friends.  Avoid
all the negative behaviors.

Column D (Fortune Cookies): Leadership.  Make the kingdom better by
leading groups of people in constructive endeavors.

By the way, B, C, and D apply to my opinions for all peerages.  Just
modify A to fit the type of restaurant (peerage) you're interested in.

--
Yours in Service,
Duke Richard Fitzgilbert,