Re: regarding Their Magesties

Poster: AEdric the Grene <AEdric@mindspring.com>

> Poster: E-Lady@worldnet.att.net (Elizabeth Orwig)
>
> During period, a person making such a flagrant traitorous remark in a public
> forum would be brought to court or populace assembly and publicly flogged
> for all to see. Feel lucky we don't actually do that.

I feel I must disagree with this statement.  While in the "game" part of the SCA
it may be a traitorous comment, it is certainly an allowable (if odious) opinion
in the "mundane" part of the SCA.  It's not "luck" that prevents this from
happening to the gentle, it's the simple recognition that the Kingdom of
Atlantia does not have such authority as an actual Period (or even Modern)
Kingdom.  Upon joining the SCA, I never swore fealty to even an idea of what
respect the Crown (or anyone else) is owed beyond that of simple courtesy.  So,
how can I (or the posting gentle) be a traitor for not agreeing with the actions
or statements of a person who is currently Crown?  To call a disagreement on how
the Crown should behave a matter of traitourous behaviour is the same as calling
it "heresy";  It doesn't disprove the person's assertion and only makes the SCA
look more like a closed society rather than a organization/community that can
and does change how some things are done while leaving others the same since the
start.

Perhaps more importantly is the implication that somehow someone with a higher
title somehow is more "right" than someone like me, untitled, jobless, and just
a participant.  That's a fallacy of authority, particularly in a group where one
of the greatest authorities can be obtained by beating other peeople in combat,
which may mean many things but certainly does not test one's rectitude on many
non-combat matters like how much one should do in the service of one's office.
And, in general, it seems downright unfriendly to any new people who would
quickly get the message to shut up, sit down, and wait until they have enough
prestige to be able to comment on the organization.

> dishonor myself or my house by such a remark.  I was brought up here to KNOW
> that if one does not respect the person wearing the crown, you must STILL
> RESPECT that CROWN.  If you cannot find it in yourself to do either or both,

Perhaps the gentle's respect for the Crown is high enough that he demands more
out of the actual people wearing the Crown than others do?  His statement
certainly implied as much to me, however little I agree with it.

> I will now step off my soapbox and return you to your regularly scheduled
> program.

As I shall also do now.  Thank you for your time.

--
AEdric the Grene

Anglo-Saxon, KnowItAll wannabe, Cider drinker
Arms: Per Pale, sable and vert (or is it vert and sable...)
Legs: 3'6" (or so)