Re: Underage drinking... (longish...)

Poster: hank harwell <web7989@charweb.org>

On Sun, 12 Apr 1998, PADRAIG350 wrote:

> << I have heard many people
>  bemoaning the fact that they see underage drinking but when asked what
>  they did about it very few took any action to prevent it or to report it
>  to someone who could do something about it. If we don't stand up and
>  take action to solve this problem as a society as a whole and sweep it
>  under the rug until its more convenient to do something about it then
>  the problem will continue and people will continue to think no harm can
>  come to them for feeding alcohol to minors or drinking alcohol as a
>  minor. The constabulary is always there to lend a hand but we all have
>  to be responsible for eradicating this problem.
>   >>

> Underage drinking should happen as often as a 5 year old winning Crown, that
> is to say NEVER.

> But at ANY SCA function, be it local fighter practice or Kingdom event, no minor should be drinking.  Many
> might argue that in the "Real" Middle Ages kids drank.  In the "Real" Middle
> Ages children were slaughtered by invading armies, shall we re-create that?
> Any parent out there can give the obvious response to this.
> We are supposed to be examples of Honor, Chivalry and Respect.  That is the
> core of the Game we supposedly play.  If we poison our children can we claim
> those qualities?

The last time I checked, local SCA custom is superseded by Kingdom Law,
which is superseded by Corpora, which is superseded by local mundane law,
which is superseded by state law, which is superseded by the
Constitution.  So if at ANY point, local,state or federal law says
underage drinking is illegal, then it is illegal SCA-wide, period.