Re: Offer of Aid concerning the Awards on Line idea

Poster: Karen@stierbach.atlantia.sca.org (Larsdatter, Karen )

Tristan ap Syrddin of Ellesmere wrote:

> By the current
> recommendation system people who really deserve awards will get them, and
> also they are the ones who truely have made a difference in the society
> because someone has noticed their deeds, and took the time to write a letter.

Let me tell you a little story about "the current system" ...

Once upon a time, there was a wonderful lady.  (She knows who she is,
and so do many folks, I suspect.)  This wonderful lady has been
active in the SCA since longer than I've been *alive.*

When I met her, I was about 20 years old.  She had volunteered as
registrar for a collegium event that I was site-autocratting.
Throughout the course of the day, I got to know her better and
counted her as a friend.  I found out that she was a deputy officer
for several offices in her chapter, and that she did many wondrous
things.

I also found out that she had never received any sort of recognition
for all these years of service.

And so the recommendation letters began.  I wrote about this lady and
her service TWO TIMES PER REIGN.  I began to get paranoid --
perhaps she was not being recognized because, for some reason,
all kings and queens simply had developed some reason to hate me so
much that simply seeing my name signed at the bottom of a
recommendation letter was reason enough to place it in the Circular
File.

When I saw this lady at a court, about two years after I started
writing recommendation letters for her, I couldn't help but start
crying.  (My fiance thought I was having a nervous breakdown.
His mother thought I was pregnant.)  After that, I pretty much
stopped writing recommendation letters for a while.  (I've since
started up again.)

Fortunately, this situation has since been remedied.  She continues
to do great amounts of service to her chapter and to her kingdom.

Would this sort of situation be remedied by the construction of a
webpage?  Who knows for sure?

Yours in Service to the Dream,

Karen Larsdatter